A critical new role within the VBI Vaccines’ commercial organization has just opened for a Director, Market Access & Contracts to work from our office in Cambridge, MA or remote within the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic with the ability to travel as needed. Reporting to the SVP Market Access & Commercial and working alongside our commercialization partner, Syneos Health, this position will be key to the development and execution of the market access strategy and operations pre and post product launch as well as ensure contracts with new and existing customers are aligned with the overall VBI commercial strategy.
Drawing on a comprehensive understanding and experience contracting and negotiating with payers, hospital networks, trade channel partners, and managed care, the Director will negotiate, oversee preparation, and administer customer contracts in accordance with company policies and legal requirements.
This role will interact with numerous internal and external business functions, including legal, sales, marketing and finance, to ensure strategic alignment of objectives and priorities as reflected in contract negotiations, analysis and risk management, while maintaining accurate records, and leading rebate and membership management as needed.
This position will be a part of the Global Product Launch Core Team and is expected to support and participate in global commercial strategic and operational initiatives.
- Lead the development of a contracting platform across all market segments
- Assist in negotiating complex, high-value contracts in partnership with Market Access and Account Management, Legal, and other functional leads to achieve timely deal closure and growth expectations
- With an in-depth knowledge of contract terms and conditions, make recommendations, identify and communicate potential risks throughout contract negotiation, ongoing management and renewal, escalating issues appropriately
- Drive compliance with legal, organizational, and departmental policies and procedures in adherence to processes and business rules
- Manage day-to-day activities for contract management and adjudication (in collaboration with 3PL and contract data management vendors), including chargebacks, rebates, admin fees, membership, etc.
- Lead the establishment of all contracting analytics and maintain oversight of all customer-based contract administration
- Act as contracting SME and point of contact for VBI’s 3PL
- Collaborate with Account Management & Learning Solutions at Syneos Health to develop proper training materials for the field team in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Monitor the changing vaccine market access and payer landscape and industry trends in order to proactively identify initiatives and modify VBI strategy as required
- Provide strategic support and guidance to VBI’s Leadership Team regarding market access strategy for VBI’s earlier-stage portfolio, as needed
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in life science, business, or health policy required. MBA or advanced degree would be an asset.
- 6 years experience working within biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, with at least 3 years experience in market access
- Experience in buy-and-bill product commercial operations and/or market access considered a very strong plus
- European commercial experience a strong plus
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills to effectively engage and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels, including senior management
- Ability to influence and align complex groups of stakeholders towards overall business objectives
- Able to succinctly communicate value proposition and differentiation in accordance with strategic objectives
- Demonstrated knowledge of contract terms and terminology enabling a comprehensive review and commentary of business contracts
- Previous experience leading contract negotiations would be considered a strong plus
- Persuasive, clear and concise communications both verbally and in writing
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.